The church is now entered through the south door, and the proportions of the building are most striking from inside. With few windows, and lit by candles, the church would have been very dark inside, suitably for a building housing royal and saintly relics. Although the walls are quite plain now, remnants of interior decoration are visible, in the plinth running around the walls and the pilaster strip-work decorating the characteristically narrow doorways. It is also quite possible that the interior was painted, perhaps quite brightly, but the most noticeable decorative feature now is the pair of angels in the east wall of the nave, which were found here or nearby in 1855. These have been compared in style with those in a tenth century illumination from Winchester, and probably survive from a more extensive sculptural scene.
Hanging on the south wall at the western end of the nave is an embroidered altar frontal, designed for St. Laurence by Sir John Ninian Comper (1864 – 1960) and worked by Lucy Bucknall, Comper’s sister-in-law.